Monday, April 24, 2017

Bitcoin mining

The early days of bitcoin mining were alot different than they are now.  Back then you had to have knowledge of hardware, Linux, and an assortment of other skillsets.  I practically learned Linux during this period and alot about hardware.  Here's my early miner, which took me about 2-3 months to finally get it running!  I had given up at one point.

Early Miner

Some of the readout from this miner:

Readout

As mining progressed along it has become more sophisticated and powerful.  Mining the coins themselves is also much more difficult and profitability is pretty low but still there.  Here's a recent setup.

Recent Miner

Along with the actual hardware the web interface is also more sophisticated even if my photo is not!  lol

Recent readout

2 comments:

  1. I remember at some point that using multiple GPUs to do the mining was more efficient. Is that still the case or are CPUs more the focus now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is bitcoin mining really worth it? I know if you have a room full of computer it is, but what if you just have a couple is it worth it to have it run 24/7? sorry still new to bitcoin.

    ReplyDelete