Monday, April 17, 2017

Is RSS Dead?

I recently had switched over from using bookmarks for frequently visited websites to using a RSS news aggregator Feedly.  My bookmarks had really gotten out of control and I migrated everything to feedly.  Now I can quickly go to a website and I'm able to frequent other websites that maybe were bookmarked a long time ago.

This article on Makeusof.com, Is RSS Dead? does a good job summarizing how RSS has made something of a comeback in recent times with Feedly itself growing rapidly.  The crux of the issue lies with ad revenue and how RSS allows for ad-free content.  Companies from Google to Twitter to Mozilla have all dropped support for it for this very reason.  Most likely RSS will evolve into something different but similar.  We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment